THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER
Sex is better. Love is better still. Few other sensations will tickle brain of a writer more than an email like this one:

From: Tina @ extasybooks
Date: March 14, 2011  8:25 PM
Subject:  Submission


Hello Valerie,
I would like to offer you a contract for this story.  How well it will sell, I can never predict.  That all depends on the author's efforts to promote the story and how the readers take to it.

This email started my career as a published author of erotica. A week earlier I'd submitted Mandi to eXtasy Books, a Canadian publisher of erotic romance e-books. Like most writers, I know all about submission. Usually all it gets you is rejection. Here at last was a lovely lady saying Yes, yes, yes.

I've written enough fiction to fill a bookshelf. Until Tina's email, none of it had been offered the chance to see the light of published day. To some extent, the rejections didn't matter. I'm a writer. I write. I cherish every minute spent writing.  Now, with a string of eXtasy Books contracts bearing my name, I've entered a different level of word love.

This morning I hit the keyboard at 5:30 AM, my usual weekday time. I worked the manuscript of Midas through part of the eXtasy editors' list of Ugly, Weak, or Overused Words.  To me there are no ugly words, only ugly usages, but I won't argue. Searching the manuscript for each word on the list and ripping out as many as I can is a good way to tighten the language and take a fresh look at every sentence. It's one of the last things I do to a story.





No comments:

Post a Comment