THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER

Making it up as you go along


Writing fiction is more fun if you make it up as you go along. Some writers outline the plot and describe the characters in detail before they start writing. I've done so, but I much prefer starting with a general idea of a character and a situation, and making things up from there. My story Clytie has several appearances of a man wearing a bull's head and tail (nothing else) and waving dildos. He's called the Minotaur. When he shows up, everyone in sight plunges into wild group sex. The distinctions between master and servant disappear.  I started my story Minotaur with nothing in mind except to write about a character like the minotaur man in Clytie.  By the time I ended that story, I'd built a framework for my entire Fair Warrior Chronicles series.

This way of making up a story seems more lifelike than starting with an outline. If you had tried to make an outline of your life, would it have worked out anything like the reality? What we really do is go day to day with a general idea in mind, and deal with what comes. That's the kind of outlook I like my fictional characters to have.  And since I'm writing erotic fiction, a lot of what comes along for them is wildly sexual.

No comments:

Post a Comment