THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER

Interview: Valerie Herme

Here’s an author interview from Valerie Herme.
Take it away, Valerie…

  • How did you start writing erotica?
By joining in the lap dance position and reaching around my lover to type Start at the Top, Mandi dear, which are the first words of my erotic novel, Mandi. Or so I wish. Actually, everything I write ends up having a lot of erotic content, so I decided it would be fun to dispense with the rest of the stuff and write as erotically as possible. The result was Mandi and a nice string of contracts with eXtasy Books.
  • What’s your favourite published work of yours and why?
I have a hard time playing favorites, but I’m really high on my new eXtasy release, a novella called Clytie. The story has to do with the desire of lovers to live with free hearts. The plot let me invent a randy island resort and write some fun scenes about Minoan bull leaping. It seemed to come together in a very entertaining way.
Also I love the cover done for Clytie by eXtasy Books designer Carmen Waters. She did a great job of conveying the sensual atmosphere of the book, though I must share with readers that the story is quite away along before Clytie gets to wear as much as a ribbon, let alone a bikini top.
  • What erotic authors do you enjoy reading?
I see all fiction as erotic. What else is there to write about, really? I have an old collection of short stories printed by Grove Press. Some of those stay in my mind. I love Lolita. The writing is so amazingly good.
  • Where do you draw your inspiration from?
I like to draw loosely from Greek myths, but mostly I just start writing. Whatever is on my mind seems to find a way into the story.
  • Do you have any unusual writing rituals?
I mentioned the lap dance position. Actually, I hit the keyboard at 5:30 in the morning, 6:30 on weekends. Those are my holy hours.
  • Where’s your favourite place to write?
In bed.
  • Who is your favourite character from one of your stories and why?
The title character from Clytie is more engaging to me than any of my other characters who have seen the light of publication.
  • Do your nearest and dearest know what you do, and if so, what was their reaction when they found out?
Only my very nearest and dearest, who is has the biggest heart and the best writing sensibility of anyone I know. The reaction was hardly surprise, since my lover has read almost everything I’ve ever written.
  • What was your ideal career when you were a child?
I still am a child. That’s why I write. I wanted to be a marine biologist, though I was growing up a thousand miles from the sea.
  • How do you get yourself in the mood to write?
I am always in the mood to write.
  • What’s the best writing tip you’ve ever been given?
Believe in yourself, and keep writing. I’ve participated in a lot of workshops and writing groups. I know many people who are better at it than I am, but they don’t quite finish their novels, or they make a halfhearted effort at publication of one manuscript and then give up. I think that’s because they don’t truly believe in their abilities. Writing is very largely a craft that can be learned, practiced, and refined. Hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment