THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER

Squeezing it in

I've tried to write The Fair Warrior Chronicles as big stories in a small number of pages. To do this, I try to be brief in my descriptions of place and emotion, and to blend them tightly into the action.  Let me give you some examples. 

            The orange dildo in my fist wriggles when I bang on the suite door. I doubt the partygoers can hear me over the noise inside. Through the wall I hear the kind of delighted scream a woman might give if some hot guy reached up her skirt and found what he wanted.  –Minotaur

           He spreads his hands over my ass. His palms warm away my goose bumps. My eyes want to close. I need to keep the tip of the arrow on his jugular. My legs feel ready to buckle. –Huntress

          Reggie sits in the middle of the couch, her short navy dress punctuating the riotous patterns of the upholstery. She crosses her legs and fishes in her huge red purse for her iPad. The whiff of golden mist floating around her doesn't surprise me. I see it on all my clients.  –Midas

          After the pits, I shave my legs. Running the blade over my thighs makes me think of Jerry gripping his beer bottle. His grimy nails are blunt as the teeth in his easy smile. To touch my own skin and imagine how a man will enjoy the smoothness feels odd and sinful. In the narrow bed of my convent cell, I forced my hands to stay above my waist. –Cassandra

          My headache went away in a day. I quit taking pain pills the next. The nurse insisted I stay in bed. Joy agreed. They were wrong, but I couldn't argue with the look in Joy's eyes. –Morpheus

          I touch his arm to reassure him I meant what I said. I get in the cab. Devon settles beside me and gives the umbrella back to the young man. We drive off. I put my hand between Devon's knees and think of the thick hair on his bear-man legs. –Circe


          Am I bragging, to hold these passages up as examples of how to say a lot with a few words?  Possibly.  With the publication of Morpheus on September 15 and Circe on September 30, the series will be done. I think I've met my goal pretty well.  From the comments I've been getting, readers agree.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment