THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER

Clarity


The number one requirement of writing is to be clear. If readers can understand what's happening, then your writing is good. You might be more clumsy with language than the next author, unable to come up with elegant metaphors, stirring descriptions, or snappy dialog, but you've told your story.  The best writing is mistake free and unobtrusive. The writer stays in the background by writing simply and plainly, and the reader is able to let the story float in their imagination.
The need to be clear can present special challenges for a writer of erotic fiction, particularly when the you're trying to describe a complicated ménage.  Here's a passage I wrote this week:

          I'm trying to figure out how to leverage him out of my ass. His legs are so long that sitting spread on his lap keeps my feet off the floor. His cock slowly shrinks inside me.

          A different one dangles before my face. Another tall, fit, Russian guy stands in front of me. He's naked, and so is the whore he pins to his side with one long arm. They were the other couple on the couch. Her hair has come undone and her face paint is smeared. She looks totally fucked. He looks ready for more.

          Sergi says, "Is my teammate, Ivan."

          Ivan helps himself to a swallow from one of Sergi's beers. I stroke his cock, tickle his balls, and run my tongue over his knob. His woman leaves his side, climbs on the couch, and sandwiches herself between me and Sergi. Her ass rests on my shoulders. I can't see, but her cunt must be in Sergi's face.

 Clear?  I hope so.  It's a first draft. When I go back to this passage, I'll be trying to assess whether the words will convey to a reader the lewd picture I have in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment