THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER

Erotic villains


What I don't have going so far in my new story series is a villain.  Plot driven fiction can't do without one. In erotic fiction, the ideal villain is erotic. The villains in my novella Clytie were three wealthy and erotically fanatic women. My novel Mandi and the six stories my Fair Warrior Chronicles series all had the same villain, the stop-at-nothing chief executive of a murky corporation.

The closest thing I have to a villain in the first story of my new series is the heroin's ex-fiancé. She's mad as hell at him for running off with her secretary, and uses this as an excuse for diving into a wild erotic adventure. But at the start of the second story, I want her to be more or less over him. I need to come up with somebody else. I hope to use this blog entry as a means to figure out who my villain should be. So far, no luck.

We need villains in fiction for the same reason we need them in real life—to personify the crappy shit that hurts, haunts and harrows our lives. The difference between fiction and most of reality is that the villain can be brought to justice. My heroine in the new story is a trial lawyer at a large but shady law firm, so she's well positioned to come across an interesting villain. And she's tough enough to bring him down. I'm not too worried about what his villainous scheme will be. Once I get the character going, I can make up his motivations and machinations as I go along.

Notice I'm referring to the villain as "he." So I guess the villain of this story will be a man. (Aren't they all?)  Whoever he is, it's too late to integrate him fully into the first story of the series.  I'll give him a cameo appearance there, and build on him in the next series. Maybe I've already made him up without knowing it. I'll consider whether one of the men in the first story is suitable villain material.

Hey, I'm getting a pretty fair idea of who the rascal will be. Writing this blog post helped. Thanks!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment