THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER

Log lines

Describing your story in ten words or less is like any other skill in writing. It's a matter of practicing until the virtues of your work are strong enough to minimize your flaws to the point that the reader doesn't notice them.

I've written log lines for five published stories in the past eight months. Here they are:
           He can make gold, but can he understand women?
           The virgin huntress stalks her prey.
           The Minotaur will arouse your secret yearnings.
           The Fire Genie will make you burn.
           Bull leapers at a secret resort risk their lives for glory, riches, and love.
Are there some you like better than others? Why? My favorite is the first on the list. It says more about the story's main character than the others, and it asks a question that neatly describes the theme of the story.
Can you match my log lines to the story titles? (Hint—three of the five should not be hard.) The titles, in the order in which they have been published by eXtasy Books, are:
          Mandi
          Clytie
          Minotaur
         The Huntress
         Midas
There's no way to tell which log line belongs to Mandi and which belongs to Clytie. I think that's a flaw. If I had it to do over, I'd change the title of Mandi to The Fire Genie. The log line for Clytie describes the plot fairly well, but it's too long and it doesn't catch the special flavor of the title character, who might be my favorite among all the characters I've ever put on a page. If I had the Clytie log line to do over, I'd probably suggest Can Clytie the bull leaper live with a free heart? Shorter, but maybe a little puzzling.
I like to get the log line written, or at least take a stab at it, before I'm done working on the story. Writing the log line can sometimes give you a more concise idea of what your story is about, which might help you sharpen the final draft.
I hope this helps you, or at least makes a bit of sense. If I had to write a log line for this piece, it would be Can the log line writer explain his craft?        

No comments:

Post a Comment