THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER

Villains


In order to make plot-driven fiction work, you need a villain. In erotic stories, the plot is driven by sex. So the villain must be messing with the heroine's love life. I try to draw my villains from contemporary events. In four of the five erotic stories I've published through eXtasy Books, I use a single villain--powerful, cold, murderous, amoral, inscrutable corporation.  That seems realistic enough.
 My novella Clytie has non-corporate villain, a whip-wielding, super-rich woman. She's easy to hate and hard to defeat. But I couldn't manage to make her as nefarious as the average real-life multinational corporation.  
In my Fair Warrior Chronicles series, the heroes slowly figure out that a big corporation is after them. They have paranormal powers that have enabled them to resist. But they haven't yet figured out why the corporation pursues them so malignantly.  Neither have I. I'd better come up with something pretty soon. I'm well along with the first draft of the last book in the series.

In the original draft of Clytie, the villainess suffers poetic justice when she's fucked by a bull.  The editors required me to rewrite this. They have a policy about bestiality. I tried to plead that it was an allusion to Greek Myth.  They weren't impressed. So in the published version, the bull doesn't get to go all the way.
 If I can come up with a corporate equivalent of being fucked by a bull, I'll know what to do with my evil corporation in the Fair Warriors series. Suggestions are welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment