THE DIARY OF AN EROTIC WRITER

Story enlargement


No, I'm not talking about a formula to grow a story big enough to make a woman scream. But my subject is similar. Erotic stories are necessarily concerned with intimate encounters—what happens between two people, or three or four, when their clothes are off and their bodies are touching. Yet story lines have a tendency to unfold. Plots reach out and involved more characters.

Over the past week, I've been working to finish the first draft of the third story of my Glass Rooms series. Altogether there will be four episodes of about twenty thousand words apiece. The first, Night Wild publishes December 1. I have once a month publication dates for the next four months. This week I was working from fifty to sixty thousand words deep in the series that will total eighty thousand or so.

The tendency of stories to unfold got out of hand. Whole groups of new characters came on stage, springing from my imagination in the midst of scenes I thought were headed elsewhere. I liked where the story was going, but it kept getting bigger and bigger. Pretty soon, I was the one screaming. (Exaggeration.) By this afternoon, when I finished the draft, my plot line reached literally worldwide. Now I have twenty thousand words left to bring it down to a more personal level and sort out the main character's erotic life in a way a reader might find satisfying. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment